The City of Lebanon, TN, is looking for an experienced and licensed Professional Engineer for our Utilities division.
The City of Lebanon is a rapidly growing community – the Professional Engineer supports the Utilities Director and Utilities Department while serving the community to ensure the public health of all citizens served by City of Lebanon Utilities. The engineer provides support to six operating units (water plant, wastewater plant, water distribution, wastewater collections including 80+ pump stations, natural gas distribution, and sanitation).
- Reviews and approves utilities within site plans, subdivision construction drawings, water and sewer extension plans and specifications developed by engineers and architects for private developments for compliance with city standards.
- Signs plat certificates related to water and sewer within the City of Lebanon.
- Serves as a utilities engineering consultant to the City of Lebanon Planning Commission.
- Works with developers, consultants, and contractors to ensure compliance with all local and/or state regulations.
- Reviews and recommends updates to technical specifications and typical standards for all current regulations as related to sewer, water, gas, etc.
- Analyzes reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs on soil composition, terrain, hydrological characteristics, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design project.
- Prepares or directs preparation and modification of reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for projects under the supervision of the Utilities Director.
- Provides technical engineering advice on utilities to developers and Utility Managers. Confers with the general public concerning engineering complaints and problems as related to water, sewer, etc.
- Prepares plans, contracts, and/or specifications for various Utility projects under the supervision of the Utilities Director.
- Calculates cost and determines feasibility of project based on analysis of collected data.
- Monitors construction, inspection, and records maintenance, as necessary.
- Applies engineering knowledge and computer technology engineering standards in review and/or design of water plant, wastewater plant, pump station, etc.
Prepares work orders when engineering knowledge is required under the supervision of the Utilities Director.
- Prepares documents for advertisement, awarding of contracts and supervision of construction of various projects under the supervision of the Utilities Director.
- Coordinates with other local and state agencies, TDOT, TDEC, etc..
- Assists general public, contractors, developers, and engineers in search of general information.
- Inspects construction site to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering plans, specifications, and construction and safety standards as directed.
- Directs construction and maintenance activities at project site.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Other duties as assigned by the Utilities Director.
- Under the direction of the Utilities Director, takes the lead as assigned on various civil and environmental engineering activities for the City of Lebanon including plans and designs for civil engineering projects such as water distribution and collection, system pipelines, water and wastewater plant capital improvement projects, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common engineering reports and documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write reports and specifications for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or City Council members
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Knowledge of general civil and municipal engineering.
- Knowledge of related computer hardware and software (micro station, Intergraph, AutoCAD, etc.).
- Knowledge of water distribution and sewer collection.
- Knowledge of work orders when engineering knowledge is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public, other employees, and elected officials.
- Ability to deal with the public with tact and diplomacy.
- Knowledge of utility design, construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment.
- Knowledge of modern developments, current literature, and sources of information regarding civil engineering and municipal utilities..
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulatory codes related to the development and construction of public improvement projects, including knowledge of the Clean Water and Safe Drinking Water Acts.
- Ability to plan, schedule and supervise complex civil engineering projects.
- Ability to supervise, coordinate, delegate and negotiate.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex and sensitive problems.
- Must have the ability to read and understand construction drawings and topographical maps and identify geotechnical features.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be able to comprehend both oral and written instructions and to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to report to work on time and perform duties of the job for a complete workday and perform work beyond normal hours, when necessary.
- Must have the ability to concentrate and accomplish tasks to meet deadlines despite interruptions.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle.
REQUIREMENTS: Minimum four (4) years of responsible experience in general civil and/or water and wastewater design and/or utility related experience in capital improvement projects. Professional engineers (PE) license from the State of Tennessee for a professional engineer is required. Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related engineering field from an accredited four-year college or university is required. Valid Tennessee Driver’s License and clear driving record is required.
Hiring salary range is 80,000 – $94,000 DOQ. Position is exempt for purposes of federal wage and hour regulations. Employment is probationary for first six months of employment with the City. The City of Lebanon provides its full-time employees with an excellent benefits package! Full Time City Employees receive 14 paid holidays and 18 PTO days the first year (23 PTO days after the first year and this increases every 5 years after) and health, dental, vision, life and disability PLUS a generous pension/401k hybrid retirement package through Tennessee Consolidated Retirement Systems (TCRS).
Candidates must apply online by completing an application form and attaching a current resume at https://tn-lebanon.civicplushrms.com/CareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=116687&SourceId=2202